It's now Sunday just before noon in Belize and the first 18-20 hours of our "vacation" time have been a bit less than pleasant (at least for me).
I'm somewhat of a planner and I have been so crazy busy at work that I haven't had time to plan much about this vacation except where we are staying and how we are getting there. Now, I'm not the type that plans our every second but I try to familiarize myself with where we are headed so that I know what options we have for things to do and I always try to figure out if we can fit in any fishing for Dave, but as I've said, I've not done any of that for this vacation.
No problem really, we will just wing it until that moment when Dave will say to me, "So, what are we going to do today" and I will respond with "I don't know".
So, because I am planner and I've not planned anything for this trip, I have a bit of anxiety before we get going. I have this feeling that I've not studied for a really important test tomorrow.
It's Friday morning, we drop Roxie off at the kennel, go back home and finish packing and cleaning (because you know I don't want some thief to see I have a dirty house??).
As I said, I already have a little anxiety and about half way to our hotel for Friday night I get a call from the kennel, "Roxie has been getting sick and they are a little worried about her". Great thanks, now I am as well.
What do we do, how bad is it, we are horrible people if we go on vacation and our dog is sick.
I speak with the kennel people and since our vet is right next door to them and they have the authority to bring her there, they will try to arrange that.
Now I am really feeling anxious.
The kennel calls back a little later and they've arranged to bring her to the vet but they're not sure if the vet will be able to see her tonight. So we still don't know much and still don't know what we should do about it.
When we get to the hotel, Dave calls the vet and they confirm that the doctor will be in to see her and they will call us back after that.
Now I am sick to my stomach, anxiety about the trip, worry about my baby girl and just an overall bad feeling that I can't seem to shake and finally the waterfall of tears.
Dave is a great guy, he just lets me get it all out without trying to stress me out about making any more decisions and then the vet calls.
She thinks that Roxie will be OK, she has given her IV's and they will keep her overnight and see what happens. Dave explains that we are due to fly out tomorrow morning early and she says that she'll call once she's seen her and leave a VM if necessary.
So now Dave and I try to get bed early Friday night because again - the flight is at 5:00 am and we need to wake up at 2:30 to check our bags and get through security.
It is a restless sleep for both of us but probably more so for me - it takes everything I have to think of things other than the things that are on my mind.
Overall our check-in, and security process is smooth and we board our first flight to Miami and head out. Once in Miami we check and there's no word yet from the vet but it is still early.
So, we board our flight to Belize and arrive at what is 10:00 (central no DST). Our phones only work via wi-fi but there is none at the airport or our car rental place so we pick up our car and stick to our plan which is to head out to the Belize Zoo.
The zoo is nice, a little overpriced but if we wanted, we could have stayed there longer but we are also hot and tired and so we head out to Corozal which is about 2 1/2 hours away.
We get to our rental and the manager is telling us things and we are like yeah, yeah, Dave only wants to get connected to check his voice mail and I only want to pass out.
Well, Dave does get his VM and the vet said that Roxie is doing better and they are going to keep her one more night to make sure she is really turning around and then they'll bring her back to the kennel.
Now we have to go out and find groceries and a place to eat and I'm so tired now that I'm not in the mood for either so we drive around a bit and every place that Dave points out I just shrug and say sure, whatever.
Finally we stop, get our groceries, bring them back to the cottage and then go get some food.
The food was good although I ate very little because almost as soon as I started eating, I was full....Dave really enjoyed his chicken with rice and beans though so that's good.
We head back to the cottage, shower off the past 24 hours of sweat and tears and head to bed early to catch up on some sleep.
This morning things look a little brighter, Dave made our usual vaca breakfast (yummy) and the vet called and said that Roxie is doing much better so they will bring her back to the kennel today.
So, while for me this was the roughest start I've ever had to a vacation, things are better today and now we will begin our adventures albeit maybe a day late.
No comments:
Post a Comment