We started off very laid back the first couple of days. Sunday we hung out around our rental while I tried to regain my strength and sanity.
Monday we drove around looking at a few of the "expat" communities that are being developed around the area. One of those is Consejo Shores which is the farthest out, about 7 miles north of town. It is the most advertised and is a very quiet area which if you like that sort of thing, this is the place for you. It still seems like it has several lots available, some of the houses seemed unfinished and it is supposed to have 2 restaurants and a store but we didn't see those.
As we drove back, we saw there were a few other developments along the road that seemed to be in the very early stages of development, maybe they are actually stalled developments??
Funny story time - I have a poor sense of direction (almost non-existent), and there is not a ton of signage here in Belize for street signs. I have a map but it's not that detailed and I found a nice little free app for my phone called Here - you can download whatever country maps you need (they have a ton) and you can use it with the true GPS signal in your phone without having to have a data connection.
So, armed with my average map and my phone app we head out to find Consejo Shores which is not on the main road (or so I thought). We head north and finally I say to Dave - OK, Take this right - we head onto a dirt road and it looks like we are heading in the right direction, we drive through miles of sugar cane fields, some of which are being burned, others that are being harvested and every once in a while we see a large truck overfilled with the harvested cane, hoping it will not fall over onto us.
We keep driving along and I say to Dave - "Well, I see why not many people chose to live up here" because even though it is listed at 7 miles outside of town, it takes a lot to get up this way on this windy dirt road.
Just then we come to a T in the road and realize (because there are cars coming from the right) that this road, which is somewhat paved, leads right back to Corozal!!!
Good thing Dave and I like to take the road less traveled...LOL
A few things to note about the area, there are no real sand beaches here. The area is located on the Chetumal Bay and there are a couple of places along the banks to get into the water to swim but most of the area is surrounded by a rock wall which also has rock and coral below so you wouldn't jump off from there either.
But we hang out a bit here and then have lunch at a good place right on the water.
Dave has "made friends" with Nathaniel who does maintenance around the property we are renting and he arranges to go fishing with him just off the docks and such down the street. So they head out about 4:15 and I stay back at our rental. It's nice to have a little time to myself and I read a little, watch a little TV and then I look out the window and realize it is dark out, Dave's not home. I check the time and it's only 7:00 so I tell myself...no problem, it's early. But then I also tell myself, it's dark, he's alone, we are in another country....etc.
Don't get me wrong, I feel completely safe here and I would not have let him go (or go alone) if I felt anything else, but I am a little bit of an anxious person and I can easily get in my own head so I try to think about other things and watch the game on (hoping Lebron loses) and next I look, it's 8:00. Now I am wondering what time is it that I should panic but I keep my cool...finally about 8:30ish he comes home. Nathaniel is with him and they show the fish that they've caught (Nate caught them all) and Nate has one of his sons with him as well. We talk for a little bit about how they caught them and such and then they head home.
Dave had a good time in learning how they do things here - they go down to the little brooks and use a small net to catch some sardines, then they take those and go down to the bay using a hand line trying to catch fish.
Nate also has a nice throw net that he used to catch some of the fish they brought home too.
I don't really tell Dave about my anxieties but I mention that I did have a couple of thoughts that I just pushed aside. I am glad that he had a good time and got to see how the locals do it.
In all, a couple of good days to ease into things - good thing we have 2 weeks or we would have spent half our vaca getting into vaca mode!!!
I love reading all your post!! No need to be anxious dad knows exactly what he is doing and so do you. Glad the fishing was good and if he gets the hang of it you can catch free dinner. Love you both....have fun!
ReplyDeleteThanks Josh - I do know that but I just can't get out of my head sometime!!! I can't wait for some fresh dinner whenever we want it. Love you too.
Delete